POLICE COMMAND PROFESSIONALS – CAPTAIN The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey (PANYNJ) conceives, builds, operates, and maintains infrastructure critical to the New York/New Jersey region’s trade and transportation network. These facilities include America’s busiest airport system, marine terminals and ports, the PATH rail transit system, six tunnels and bridges between New York and New Jersey, the Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan, and the World Trade Center.
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey seeks highly skilled and experienced law enforcement command professionals to fill the rank of Captain in its Port Authority Police Department. The Port Authority is seeking candidates with strong law enforcement, leadership, command, and communication skills; labor relations experience; a history of successful partnerships with local, state, and federal agencies and other law enforcement jurisdictions; and a demonstrated, successful record of managing police personnel, resources and administration. The security functions of the Authority continue to be streamlined, centralized, and strengthened with the goal of increasing their effectiveness and efficiency. Any new police commanders hired pursuant to this search will become a critical element of leading this larger security transition in the Port Authority Police Department.
Under the command of the Superintendent of Police/ Director of Public Safety, the candidates selected for these positions will exercise full-scope, day-to-day operational command of distinct, geographically organized PAPD units ranging in size from 80 – 250 personnel. These individuals will be expected to uphold the law; preserve and protect patrons, employees, and property of the Authority; operate their units in an effective and cost-efficient manner; develop strong interagency and private-sector partnerships for the purpose of achieving a maximally efficient policing and security structure; and command, motivate, inspire, and maintain proper order and discipline among subordinates.
Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervising day-to-day police functions, developing uniformed staff to a high degree of competence, and overseeing the training and assignment of subordinates
- Enforcing discipline, good order, and the highest standards of personal and unit probity
- Managing and participating in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs
- Planning, monitoring, evaluating and implementing efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods, procedures, techniques, and equipment utilized in the conduct of all activities assigned to police personnel and making recommendations to eliminate inadequacies or improving operations, service, and staffing levels, while promoting change management to ensure successful implementation
- Directing staff, analyzing problems, identifying solutions and implementing recommendations in support of goals, modifications to police programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate
- Integrating public safety and security strategies with the agency goals and objectives
- Developing and maintaining lines of communication and cooperation with peers in surrounding local, state, and federal agencies; coordinating joint operations with outside agencies; and mitigating conflicts with other departments or agencies
- Attending and participating in professional group meetings, maintaining awareness of new trends in law enforcement, and incorporating new developments as appropriate
- Developing and maintaining collaborative partnerships with Facility general managers and their staff as well as other stakeholders, both internal and external to the Port Authority.
POSITION ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of 60 college credits from an accredited college or university, toward a major in criminal justice, law, social science, or related field with Ten (10) years of law enforcement experience with a sizeable uniformed work force.
- A minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience as a police commander of a sizeable uniformed workforce.
The ideal candidate(s) will present the following qualifications profile:
- A Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, law, social science, or a related field. from an accredited college or university.
- Experience in progressively responsible senior level command ranks in law enforcement.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of methods and techniques used in providing the full range of law enforcement and crime prevention services and activities, including investigation and identification, patrol, traffic control, care and custody of persons and property, crime prevention, records management, security, dispatch, and financial management of a precinct.
- Experience in counter-terrorism, intelligence and investigations.
- Experience in critical infrastructure protection and transportation policing.
- Experience in budget administration, processes and systems.
- A record of leadership by example and the highest standards of personal probity.
- An ability to effectively manage individuals from diverse professional backgrounds.
- Knowledge of the provisions of police collective bargaining agreements, personnel rules and regulations.
- Proven track record of implementing cost effective strategies
- Demonstrated strong conflict resolution, problem solving and decision making skills
- Demonstrated strong written and oral communication skills
- An ability to work constructively with local, state, and federal agencies
- Knowledge of principles of supervision, management, training, and performance evaluation
Complexity of positions: The roles/responsibilities involve duties necessitating irregular work hours. The positions require that those selected be on 24-hour call for notifications, and that they be available for recall as conditions warrant, under the direction of, the Director of Public Safety/Superintendent of Police of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The Superintendent of Police reports directly to the Chief Security Officer.
Decision-making in a high-pressure environment and the ability to convey a sense of control and organization is crucial. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey offers a competitive salary, an outstanding benefits package and a professional environment that supports development and recognizes achievement.
To apply, CLICK HERE to be directed to the Port Authority Police hiring announcement.